[geeks] argh

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 29 22:39:57 CDT 2001

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 01:44:59PM -0400, Tim Harrison wrote:
> joshua d boyd wrote:
>
> > The TD-5 that I occasionally play with has a lot of trouble with cross
> > talk between pads.  Does yours do this?
>
> Only if I tap on the rack. :)
>
> > If it were my TD-5 (it's churches), I'd be looking into hooking it up with
> > a computer and a sampler, and get some nice dirty drums sampled from
> > different places.
>
> For my simplistic needs, it's quite nice with the stuff it's got
> onboard.  I was thinking of getting a TD-7 brain, and adding some dual
> trigger pads, for cymbal chokes, rimshots, etc., but I'm just having fun
> with it for now.  If any of the stuff I'm working on actually goes
> anywhere, I'll most likely upgrade, and get some cooler gear.
> Currently, the instrument list in the apartment is small:

The symbol chokes was disappointing on the TD-5 (yes, using the dual pad
purchased seperately).  Rimshots are rather nice.  Overall, a bit too
limited in how many pads can be connected though.  That alone would be a
good reason to go to the TD-7.

> For recording, I've used Cakewalk, Digital Performer and Quartz
> AudioMaster.  I do most stuff via digital audio.  I'm also pondering
> getting myself a nice little keyboard, as I have to depend on others
> right now for keyboard parts.

I really want to get a new keyboard.  I gave up the keyboard numerous
years ago because the one I had broke, and getting a decent guitar was
cheaper than a new keyboard, so I switched.  But, I really want to get
back into keyboard again man.

As to software, there is an 8track version of Protools for free.  If I can
wrangle up most space, I'm likely to set it up on an old Windows machines.

> I'd like to find some digital audio software for the SGI Indys. :)

I believe some exists.  A edition of Linux Journal was talking about
audio, and mentioned a multi-track program that was originally an academic
project written on SGIs, then later ported to linux.  It looked ugly, but
useable.  Never tried it though.

I tried writing my own software once, but syncronization is a pain.  I
just was trying to do something simple like that old Turtle Beach quad
track product, but ended up giving up.  Might someday resurrect that
project though, because I really want to figure out that whole sync issue.

--
Joshua D. Boyd