[geeks] argh

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 30 11:48:16 CDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 11:58:34AM -0400, Tim Harrison wrote:
> joshua d boyd wrote:
>
> > The symbol chokes was disappointing on the TD-5 (yes, using the dual pad
> > purchased seperately).  Rimshots are rather nice.  Overall, a bit too
> > limited in how many pads can be connected though.  That alone would be a
> > good reason to go to the TD-7.
>
> I didn't realize that the TD-5 actually had the capability of doing
> cymbal chokes. :/  I need to go re-read my manual. :)

Err, maybe that is why it was so disappointing...  I was told it had them,
but I've never laid eyes on the manual.

> > I really want to get a new keyboard.  I gave up the keyboard numerous
> > years ago because the one I had broke, and getting a decent guitar was
> > cheaper than a new keyboard, so I switched.  But, I really want to get
> > back into keyboard again man.
>
> Yeah, I need something that will produce sounds other than distorted
> guitar and bass.  However, convincing someone (wife) that I should buy a
> new keyboard is close to impossible. :)

Can't you do undistorted guitar?  I was looking on ebay, and it seems that
semi decent keyboards can be had for little over $200.  And sound modules
are dirt cheap.  That's probably how I will go.  Get a semi decent
keyboard, then add a rack sampler or two.

> > As to software, there is an 8track version of Protools for free.  If I can
> > wrangle up most space, I'm likely to set it up on an old Windows machines.
>
> I looked at a full Pro Tools setup, and it's officially friggin'
> expensive.

I know.  It is nice though, and 8 tracks for free ain't bad (unless you
need more than 8 tracks).

> I have enough trouble getting away from digital audio and into MIDI. :)
> I've always been an analogue kind of guy.  Now, with all this nifty
> computer stuff, I'm finding it a little cold and sterile.  However,
> immediate editing is cool. :)

Saving money is also cool.  A crappy 4 track costs more than I am willing
to pay.  I wish I could go all analouge to the computer, but I still am
using a digital multi effects to save money.  What I really need to do is
just buy a whole new guitar rig.  But, I don't have the $$$ for such an
task at the moment.  Maybe I'll decide to go back to basics, and just get
a nice tube amp and use nothing else.

--
Joshua D. Boyd