[geeks] Introductions (was Re: Etiquette)

D.A. Muran-de Assereto geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 29 00:09:36 CDT 2001

OK, reintroduction...Follow the format, right?

I'm 41, and will be 42 next week.

I'm a systems integrator and engineer for General Dynamics in Miami,
supporting the US Southern Command. I work with primarily Sun and
NT boxen, with the odd DEC. My latest work projects have been:
- replacing a three-machine DEC 4100 cluster with one Sun E420 and
one E450 (short term replacement)
- Building a dual 420 VCS cluster to test VCS and the new SAN I built
preparatory to getting a couple of Serengetis online near the end of
the year
- Lots and lots of NT/UNIX integration issues, relating to SMB
performance, auditing, and other niceties.

I also do third-level maintenance and auditing in a C2 environment.

I also spend almost all of my "off-time" on my boxen at home. I have
nowhere near the same level of stuff that many of the folks on this
list have, but I do OK. Currently, I have an U30 doing file, DNS, NIS,
SMB, and mail services for the internal network, an U10 as one of my
devel boxes, an Integrix RS1 as the web server, an Alpha/500 doing
miscellaneous internal tasks, and a FreeBSD PC doing H323 proxying.
I also keep another two Alphas, a SPARC 5, and a couple of NT and
2k boxes around for various testing and developmental purposes. My
wife Magalis is very tolerant of my avocation, since she saw me get
a $30k raise when I retired from the USAF because of it.
I have  three kids, one of whom is old enough to be of interest to Dave
McGuire and far enough away from him that I feel safe mentioning her :)
No pets.

Dave Muran-de Assereto
"The other Dave M."