[geeks] FreeBSD install problem on ALR server

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 23 15:58:06 CDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 03:21:49PM -0500, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
> We have had great success using Athlon's for rendering. The floating point
> is amazing.
>
> Right now we only have 30 render slaves, so they are not too hard to manage,
> but I am dreading looking after too many more. Right now they are running
> Win2K, but we are slowly moving over to Linux which should make my life
> easier.

That is what I hear about athlons.  I don't own any such beasts myself, so
I can't comment.  Maybe this is just part of being a stupid CS student,
but currently, I'm not that thrilled with floating point numbers.  I
realize that in some cases rationals won't work, but I think that
otherwise rationals should be used more than they are.  I used to complain
a lot about the fact that MMX was ints only, but now that I've started
considering using rationals more, I don't care so much about MMX being
ints only.  Of course, there are some problems I'm trying to deal with in
using rational matrices that I've been using them.  I have a theory about
a better way, but I haven't taken the time to theory check it yet.

--
Joshua D. Boyd