[geeks] Software Bloat

William Enestvedt geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 19 13:11:01 CST 2001

> I think you're right.

   Why thank you. :7) (Says the transplant, not a RI-native!)

> It used to be on display at the mill in Providence's
> historic district, by the river.

   Slater Mill. My RI-born wife was reluctant to go, but I thought it was
neat (even if it _was_ closed the time we went):
      www.geocities.com/~woon_heritage/slaterhist.htm
   and, on the page at
       http://travel.yahoo.com/t/north_america/united_states/ \
       rhode_island/providence/natgeo1.html
   ...it says, "Many of the machines are set up to operate, and
demonstrations are given during each tour. Shuttles fly across the taut warp
of a power loom. On a jacquard-ribbon loom, letters spelling "Slater Mill"
appear as the cloth tape is woven. And an entire argyle sock descends from a
knitting machine in just minutes."
   So that appears to settle that. I feel like a 200-ounce Coke...anyone?
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator