[geeks] new lists? 8-)

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 13 14:27:51 CST 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 02:19:33PM -0600, Amy wrote:
> > While we are on the topic, what is a yuppie anyway?  All I know is that
> > supposedly they drive SUVs or german cars, and buy Vikings.  The word
> > materialist seems to get used a lot also.
>
> hrm, i dunno bout the rest of the world. my guess is the definition is
> very personal...i define a yuppie nowadays as anyone who buys granite
> countertops for the look instead of marble ones (or any other type) for
> the use.

What I really hate is Corian (I think that is the right word) counter tops.
Looks exactly like marble, but it won't stand up to anything.  People
apparently buy it because they want the marble look, but without the marble
price.  I think they might have imitation granite now also.

> i have an suv (well, bill drives it, i dont drive a stick). but we *use*
> it to haul things (dog, groceries, computers, cabinets). i guess the suv
> yuppie thing comes from people who dont use them or something. not sure
> about the german cars deal as i've never owned one. the viking thing goes
> back to not using it but for looks.

Well, actually I do own a german car.  I was thinking BMW, Benz when I wrote
that, but what I drive is a VW Jetta.  I rather like the thing, but I'm not
sure where to go from here.  New Jetta have too much of a kid car image, but
Audis are too expensive.  Maybe a Passat.  Something a touch larger would be
nice anyway.

My dad owns an SUV.  He is an inspector that has to drive to remote, vehichle
hostile locations.  His car often has mud on it.  Plus, it is really good for
towing a trailer.  Sits to high for me, plus it handles like a brick.  I prefer
something that can at least pretend to cut lithely through the hills 'round
here.

Hmm.  Nobody has ever accused us of being yuppies though.  Maybe it is more of
a personality thing, cause people have called my uncle that, and he can cook on
that impressive stove of his...

--
Joshua D. Boyd