[geeks] rlogin for MacOS

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 22 13:31:48 CDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 11:37:34AM -0500, Mike Hebel wrote:
> You think that's bad - I'm 32 and someone recently called me Sid!
> They were joking of course but you do get pretty weird looks when you
> mention "Hunt the Wumpus", punch cards, or even COBOL around some
> people.

I recently mentioned COBOL to a CS major.  He had no idea what I was
talking about.

Another time, I tried to defend COBOL as a valid development language in
this day and age.  What a mistake.  All I was trying to say was that
COBOL, (especially modern versions of it) is a valid way of expressing
business logic, especially in that it is reasonably readable by
business people, easing cooperation between the species.  Then just wrap
in something (COM, Orbit, Soap), and get on with the rest of life in
something more direct.

And god help me when I try to mention the benefits of using languages like
FORTRAN and lisp in this day and age.

--
Joshua D. Boyd