[geeks] rlogin for MacOS

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 23 02:01:27 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "joshua d boyd" <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu>
To: <geeks at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 2:31 PM
Subject: Re: [geeks] rlogin for MacOS

> I recently mentioned COBOL to a CS major.  He had no idea what I was
> talking about.

Kids... ;^)

COBOL was dead about 15-20 years ago, along with the mainframe. Funny how
long it is taking all those thousands and thousands of folks making a nice
living getting work done using COBOL and Mainframes to realize they aren't
useful any more... ;^)

> Another time, I tried to defend COBOL as a valid development language in
> this day and age.  What a mistake.  All I was trying to say was that
> COBOL, (especially modern versions of it) is a valid way of expressing
> business logic, especially in that it is reasonably readable by
> business people, easing cooperation between the species.  Then just wrap
> in something (COM, Orbit, Soap), and get on with the rest of life in
> something more direct.

My previous school had a debate on teaching COBOL to graduates of the CS
program (in 1987), half the dept. felt that that was too "Vo-Tech", the
other half felt the graduates should be able to find employment...

> And god help me when I try to mention the benefits of using languages like
> FORTRAN and lisp in this day and age.

Can you use FORTRAN to write web server scripts? ;^)

Ken