[geeks] M$ crap == HUGE TCO and major headaches!

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 19 22:41:30 CDT 2001

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 03:20:38PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> Oh my goodness.... I'm sorry I asked.  Java applications are not for me.
> What a waste of CPU.  I realy do not want to have to have a G4 or better
> just to run accounting.  The 486sx25 in the basement should suffice for
> the number of transactions we'll ever do, and if it doesn't then the
> software is just not applicable.  Talk about BAD engineering!

You know, an application written in Java should be able to run just fine
on an sx25.  What I want to know is what is wrong that I can't write an
AWT program to run fast enough.  I certainly have seen command line
programs that I think would run fine on an sx25 written in Java.  For
awhile, I was running a web server written in Java on a dx2/66 and it ran
extremely well without hurting performance in other programs running at
the same time.

But, when someone says something is written in Java, I run screaming.  It
is unbelievable how badly programs like LimeWire run.

-
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/

IANAL: I am not a [lama|lawyer|luser|leper].