[geeks] @home has finally done it...

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 19 18:23:39 CDT 2001

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 05:54:17PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Sunday, August 19, 2001 at 22:22:48 (+0100), David Cantrell wrote: ]
> > * - I thought it would be a good idea to warn them about the anonymising
> > mail relay I'm putting together.  They shat themselves until I explained
> > exactly how I would make it spammer-proof.  It'll also be cult-proof, so
> > won't suffer the fate of anon.penet.fi, but that's a seperate issue :-)
> > I am currently awaiting a delivery of tuits.
>
> Hee hee!  ;-)

Spammer-proofing, incidentally, comes from using hash-cash to 'authenticate'
users.  I don't want to authenticate who they are, cos I just don't want
them to have to trust me with any information like that.  I do intend to
let people optionally receive replies anonymously, which will involve
keeping some records.  The mapping between return address and real address
will be kept for a user-specified length of time and be one-shot only.  The
mapping will be deleted (actually, shredded then deleted) on expiry or use.
As long as the expiry times are sufficiently short (48 hours or so at the
most) then it is cult-proof, as no-one can sub-poena records that
quickly.  Other than that, there will be no logs kept at all which could
identify users.

   Educating this luser would be something to frustrate even the
   unflappable Yoda and make him jam a lightsaber up his arse
   while screaming "praise evil, the Dark Side is your friend!".
                              -- Derek Balling, in the Monastery