[geeks] @home has finally done it...

Phil Brutsche geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 19 13:19:14 CDT 2001

> It wasn't bad enough that they blocked all incoming HTTP traffic, but
> now they've blocked all incoming SMTP traffic.  Firewall logs show it
> happened at about 3:50pm yesterday afternoon

I guess it depends on where you are - I discovered myself they made that
change in my area closer to 4am than 4pm - at 4pm yesterday I had some
mail queue items on my backup mx that were 12 hours old because it
couldn't contact my home firewall and get those messages delivered :(

[...]

> The level one techs have no idea what port 80 and 25 do.

Level one techs are generally clueless twits the likes of which anyone on
this list could chew up as a midnight snack - they're not filling enough
for breakfast and they're not good for your health anyway.

The only reason they're there is so that the the people who really do know
something won't get bogged down with Mr. John Q. Public's stupid questions
about Code Red.

> Level two techs should never hang up on Kurt Huhn - I have nothing better to
> do at 12:30am than to call back and speak to your supervisor.

Oh, so you're *that* kind of "end user" :)

> NETBIOS IS STILL ACTIVE!  Netbios broadcast storms are the real culprit
> here - ever see a Passport switch brought to it's knees by NetBios?  Since
> @home decided to bind DHCP to NetBios, bandwidth has never been worse...

In your area perhaps, but in my area (about 1000 miles west of you) there
is no such requirement :)

> They actually get pissed when I say that I have a firewall and use
> Linux as my primary OS.

They're just jealous.

> I am sooooo pissed.  I just spent the morning reconfiguring a server at work
> to operate as my mail server - I had to unsubscribe from the lists in the
> meantime.  I'd just ike to take this oportunity to thank @home - for
> NOTHING!

And that's exactly what they promised you.

Don't expect much help from them when you're not "paying for the right" to
run a server, especially when doing so is against their terms of service
agreement.

It's just too bad they don't have a "hobbyist plan" for people like us...

Phil