[geeks] News server access

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 14 11:13:08 CDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 10:48:20AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 10:52:02AM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> > Err, shared internet access and mail serving (especially if using esmtp or
> > the like) is a far cry different from running web servers.
>
> And I know plenty of companies using a 128K isdn line for mail,
> web surfing, *and* running their company's web server.

That's what I wanted to hear.  Most places are far more lenient about
loosing web access for a little bit then they are about the web server
going down.  The other guy had been trying to indicate that ISDN wasn't
reliable enough, and you countered by saying that you knew companies that
ran services on it that often didn't require the greatest reliability.

> What makes you people think that you *have* to have a T1 or DSL
> to get things done?  Do you not remember people having 56k lines
> either?

56k was me a few monthes ago.  Except it was usually 36k or less.  I don't
think they have to have fast lines to run web servers, just low latency
and reliable lines.  ISDN should be both, except that it doesn't appear to
be affordable.  In the past 3 years, things seem to have gotten worse, not
better for hosting web sites (unless you want to colocate which is a whole
other mishmash of mis information, but is definately expensive).

> There was life before broadband, and it still exists.  Keep in
> mind that broadband connections are *not* that widespread - most
> of us are just lucky to live somewhere that has them.

Yes, but I know very few people who want to try and run a web server off
of a 56k dialup.  64k leased would be OK (I was shocked at the speed
difference in web surfing between the two), but that isn't offer as an
option much anymore.  It seems that the ISPs and telcos would rather sell
me a faster line at the same price as the older stuff rather than sell me
the older stuff at lower prices.  I would be quite happy with a leased 56
or 64k line if I could get it with a few IPs and for around $100 a
month.  3 years it would have cost me about $250 a month if I remeber
correctly.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/