[geeks] News server access

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 14 14:00:09 CDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 10:48:20AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 10:52:02AM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> > Err, shared internet access and mail serving (especially if using esmtp or
> > the like) is a far cry different from running web servers.
>
> And I know plenty of companies using a 128K isdn line for mail,
> web surfing, *and* running their company's web server.

Yes, we all know it's possible.  But it does suck.  Not only does it
have less bandwidth than just about everything else, but it has all
the problems of dial-up, and is fearsomely expensive to keep running
24/7 almost everywhere.  I still maintain that no dial-up connection
is suitable for serving.

> What makes you people think that you *have* to have a T1 or DSL
> to get things done?

Experience.

>                     Do you not remember people having 56k lines
> either?

Eek! he's talking modems!

/me hides under the desk

> There was life before broadband, and it still exists.  Keep in
> mind that broadband connections are *not* that widespread - most
> of us are just lucky to live somewhere that has them.

Yeah, I know.  That doesn't mean that non-broadband doesn't blow
goats.

   Educating this luser would be something to frustrate even the
   unflappable Yoda and make him jam a lightsaber up his arse
   while screaming "praise evil, the Dark Side is your friend!".
                              -- Derek Balling, in the Monastery