[geeks] News server access

Dan Debertin geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 11:19:38 CDT 2001

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> cause all ISPs suck.  and the ones that don't suck are going out of business.
> i heard that my ISP went bankrupt last week.  god dammit, and the totally
> kick ass.  i hope they pull through.

The era of the local ISP is ending pretty fast. The national ISPs can beat
us on price, visibility, and come-ons/tie-ins, leaving local ISPs with
only a few advantages -- higher-quality techsupport, and better services
for internet connisseurs, like us. Things like customer-specific
configuration tweaks, better chances of getting a sysadmin on the phone,
routed subnets, and the like.

There will always be a niche for local ISPs because of this. But it will
certainly whittle itself down to only a few per city.

Dan
--
The more advertising I see, the less I want to buy.

Dan Debertin
airboss at nodewarrior.org
www.nodewarrior.org