[geeks] News server access

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 11:49:09 CDT 2001

David Cantrell wrote:

> > I guess [PPPoE] isn't that bad.  Most people seem to be moving to it.  For one
> > thing, it is probably the best way (or so I'm told) to keep people from
> > grabbing multiple IPs (without tieing service to a MAC, which sucks even
> > more).

What do you mean grabbing multiple IPs? They give me statics and have no
DHCP server  running on my subnet as far as I can tell. WHy would anyone
do it otherwise? (I'm being serious - why?)

> Thank $deity that I'm on a business ADSL scheme, and so I get a proper
> router instead of those crappy USB things, and I get my own static routable
> subnet.

Yup, same here, 'cept it's SDSL. I think the thing sitting at the end of
the external copper is a bridge, though, not a router. It's transparent
from this side, and the gateway address is a switch on the other end.

> > I do hate that Verizon advertises as always being on.  They are not always
> > on.  I frequently have to go disconnect then redial.

Dial what?

> I've had to do that once, because of a network upgrade.  #include std_grumble_
> about_ISP_not_telling_me_in_advance

Do what once? I'm missing something here...

---sambo
curious