[geeks] News server access

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 08:39:55 CDT 2001

joshua d boyd wrote:

> > Oh, and tech. support was *great* when I set up my DSL account - they set
>
>> > Of course, every call started out with "Let's check your software
> > installations, click on the start button and select control panel..."
>
> Their tech support was great at resolving my initial installation issues

Hrm. My ISP (charm.net) is fantastic at tech support, and I've been with
them for 7 years. It's their subcontractors I despise with a passion
unrivalled by anything else in the computer industry. If you're not in
charm.net's immediate area, they sub your lines out, and I happened to
get Coretel, who, as far as I can tell, is staffed by ebola monkeys
whose brains have turned to jelly.

I've been experiencing an average 30% packet loss for a week, making the
web useless, and my locally hosted sites pointless for the outside
world. As far as I can tell from my end, Core hasn't even looked at
their equipment to see what the problem could be. Nothing's changed
except for the fact that I was down completely for two days last week,
but that was due to a fire at Worldnet.

(Anyone know how to get into one of these?

Assured Access Technology: ISAS Switch
r334 : HSGM: ACPU_SCM:

That's what it says when I telnet to my gateway. I'll fix the damned
thing myself:)

Feh on tech support.

What software do you need for DSL? Mine's just a box at the end of the
copper with an ethernet port. I run a cable from there to the firewall,
and then to the inside switch. No speacial software required.

---sambo