[geeks] News server access

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 09:27:24 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 09:39:55AM -0400, s at avoidant.org wrote:
> What software do you need for DSL? Mine's just a box at the end of the
> copper with an ethernet port. I run a cable from there to the firewall,
> and then to the inside switch. No speacial software required.

I need PPPOE.  I've learned that there are now DSL routers (including an
overpriced and under featured software upgrade for my modem) that will do
it.

I'm sad to say that at this moment, DSL for the house comes through a
Win98 machine running MS ICS.  We tried to schedule the DSL installation
at a time when I would have a month free to tinker with it, but they
delayed until the semester start, and so I haven't had time for more than
a quick stab at getting something else going.  Specifically, I tried using
Coyote Linux (offshoot from the linux router project which has a gui
config tool to make the boot disk), but it refused to see more than one
ethernet card in the 486 I was trying to use.

My current plan is to soon get an IPX from Ken(when are you going to give
me your address so that I can send you payment dude?), load OpenBSD on it,
then find a second ethernet card and use that machine.  One benefit will
be that it is small enough that I can easily throw it in my backpack and
take it to school and bribe a CS student to fix it for me if I have
trouble.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/