[geeks] Three heads

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 7 09:11:37 CDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 07:01:18AM -0700, Ken Hansen wrote:
> One thought I have always wondered about would be to
> get some surplus cubicle parts and assemble a
> workspace in my basement using those pieces, of course
> the requirements would look like this:
>
>    - Low-cost
>    - Easy to assemble
>    - 30" desktop/worksurface
>    - L-shaped at a minimum
>    - overhead shelf might be nice
>    - ample cable cutouts

> 30" desktop/worksurface - I think used cubicles are
> quite affordable...

>From what I've seen, it's pretty much all easy to assemble.  When I bought
the pedistal (or file drawers, just the sales man kept calling it a
pedistal) for my desk it was rather damaged (dented, lock brokek), and
still set me back $80.  And office chairs were darn expensive (the ones we
have are either unbearably ugly, or unbearably cheap) also.  I think the
only way to make this plan work on the cheap is to luck out somewhere, and
then it is most likely going to be ugly.  Office furniture is not
cheap.  It seems to me that the office is the hardest part of a house to
furnish nicely on a budget.

--
Joshua D. Boyd