[geeks] Three heads

Big Endian geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 7 09:17:13 CDT 2001

>On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 07:01:18AM -0700, Ken Hansen wrote:
>>  One thought I have always wondered about would be to
>>  get some surplus cubicle parts and assemble a
>>  workspace in my basement using those pieces, of course
>>  the requirements would look like this:
>>
>>     - Low-cost
>>     - Easy to assemble
>>     - 30" desktop/worksurface
>>     - L-shaped at a minimum
>>     - overhead shelf might be nice
>>     - ample cable cutouts
>
>>  30" desktop/worksurface - I think used cubicles are
>>  quite affordable...
>
>From what I've seen, it's pretty much all easy to assemble.  When I bought
>the pedistal (or file drawers, just the sales man kept calling it a
>pedistal) for my desk it was rather damaged (dented, lock brokek), and
>still set me back $80.  And office chairs were darn expensive (the ones we
>have are either unbearably ugly, or unbearably cheap) also.  I think the
>only way to make this plan work on the cheap is to luck out somewhere, and
>then it is most likely going to be ugly.  Office furniture is not
>cheap.  It seems to me that the office is the hardest part of a house to
>furnish nicely on a budget.

I use folding tables ($30 at priceclub) and computers to stand it on.
I have one side of my table supported by my converted 4/260 case and
the other will probably be supported by the next big computer I get
(oooh... its the right size for a deskside onyx.... now if only I had
4-6k to spend....)
daniel