[SunHELP] Lost grub menu background

Brian Richman bjrichus at yahoo.com
Mon May 27 14:27:01 CDT 2013

U8 is now long past due date (like me)... HAHAHAHA!!

At work, we are likely
not renewing our Solaris support contracts after the next time round, as by
then our plan for the Unix we have is to be 95%+ Linux and in a year's time,
we are SUPPOSED to be off Solaris for nearly all things except some very
specific legacy applications but you know how THAT goes?

We used to have
over 250 Solaris boxes under support and are now down to about 15.
<microcode at zoho.com>
Monday, May 27, 2013 12:02 PM
>Subject: Re: [SunHELP] Lost grub menu
background

wrote:
>> Ahhh ... U8 is the version that dear old My-SPIT(Oracle)-Support
warns is very
>> buggy and has lots of LU patches for.
>
>That's what I
figured. The guys at Oracle want to get you off Sun releases ;-)

>> And then
there is this also in MoS:
>> Bug 15399889 : SUNBT6562354 GRUB GREEN
BACKGROUND DISAPEAR AFTER LIVE UPGRADE
>> I don't know if this one applies to
your situation, but it says in the text
>> that it is from S10U4 and the
status is: "84 - Closed, not feasible to fix".
>> So if it is your problem,
you may be out of luck....

>Thanks, I have no way to check but it sounds
like it could be it. There's
>nothing obviously wrong and I'm running U8 but
nobody runs old stuff 'cept
>us hobbyist guys with Sun entitlements and no
service contracts. I would
>like to know what the actual problem is if there
is a diagnosis posted
>anywhere public. It seems like I was able to play
around with backgrounds
>for LILO and grub with Linux and never had a problem.
This is really weird.