[SunHELP] Solaris 9 to Solaris 10 "upgrade"

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Jun 6 15:05:02 CDT 2007

I'm looking for tips on migrating from 9 to 10.  Yesterday, I tried to
upgrade an Ultra-60, but it would not allow it.  The system had
developed some problem and we had been planning to migrate to 10
anyways.  So, I did an initial install instead.  But, I was happily
surprised that it somehow managed to remember my settings for the NIS
server.  Of course, there were alot of things that
it did not remember.  Here are 2 things that I needed to change:

1. NFS mounts
  a. the remote mounts in /etc/vfstab had to be re-added
  b. the NFS client had to be started at boot
   i. could not find nfs.client so I took it from Solaris 9
/etc/init.d/nfs.client
   ii. copy it to /etc/rc0.d/K41nfs.client (same as Solaris 9)
   iii. and also to /etc/rc2.d/S73nfs.client (same as Solaris 9)
2. remote X11 display always refused
  a. use command svccfg
  b. select application/x11/x11-server
  c. setprop options/tcp_listen=true

Unfortunately, it took me all day today to "discover" these.  And, for
#1, I cheated; I just grabbed the files that I needed from Solaris 9,
but I doubt this would work all of the time; it certainly would not
for #2.  Is there
a list of tips somewhere?  I tried 2 book stores, but all they had
was Solaris 10 Internals.  While I'm sure that would be a very
interesting read, I doubt it would help me set up my system.

Thanks,

Rodney