[SunHELP] Solaris version identifier cross reference? (and finding out what you have installed)

Dave K davek08054 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 14:26:31 CDT 2007

I would have guessed this was an FAQ, but I can't find it...

Is there a canonical (and current) cross reference between the
"Solaris N mm/yy" and "Solaris N update x" forms of release versions
anywhere?

The "Solaris N mm/yy" form is stored in /etc/release (and the "Solaris
N update x" form is somewhat cryptically stored there too), is either
stored anywhere else on the system?  Is there any API for accessing
this (other than parsing /etc/release)?

Although kernel versions change fairly often, is there a cross
reference between "uname -v" values and either of the above forms of
release version identification?

The following has some of this data, but is not up-to-date:
http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/using_etc_release.html

And this is also somewhat relevant:
http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/solarisVersions.html

--