[SunHELP] Disk format

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 05:40:54 CST 2006

On 1/6/06, Connolly, Michael - EC Newton <Michael.Connolly at itt.com> wrote:
> Do both disks have identical Seagate part numbers? Just because they both say
> 9GB doesn't mean they are constructed the same way.
>
> You might try prtvtoc on the "good" disk and use the output as input to the
> fmthard  on the "troublesome" disk.
>
> man prtvtoc
> man fmthard
prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 | fmthard s - /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2

replacing the c0t0d0s2 with the appropriate drive reference.

This is a quick way to get the same exact partitioning onto two
like drives, as well; we use it all the time for LVM setup.

Likely as not, the A1000 is reserving some disk area for info
regarding the disk's location in the array, similar to how Veritas
Volume Manager "takes over" the entire disk, since it's a disk-
based LVM.  Solstice Disk Suite, aka Solaris SVM is a partition-
based LVM.

=Nadine=

=Nadine=