[SunHELP] Terminal Server / SC Management recommendations?

Micah DesJardins micahdj at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 13:14:11 CST 2006

I'm currently researching my options for console connections on new
Sun Servers and it looks like I'm going to need some sort of RJ45
serial connection.  I know I could get a Null modem cable to connect
the machine to my desktop box's serial port but I'm trying to get more
information about how other people with a small installation (say less
than 8 servers?) are dealing with console management?

What's the consensus if any on unifying devices? I know there are
serial expanders, but my understanding is that there can be problems
if the expander loses power (sends a halt to all servers) I know there
are some console servers endorsed by Sun (Avocent, Cyclades,
Lantronix) the cheapest I can find is around 800ish.

How are you dealing with console management for small installations?

TIA

Micah DesJardins