[SunHELP] Lazy lady....

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Sep 1 17:51:08 CDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 01:12:53PM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " From: "Fernando Machado Jr." <fmachadoj at inf.ufrgs.br>
> "
> "
> " we have a software running in our solaris for comparing gene sequences
> " in databases, called blast. We did an analysis here yesterday and it
> " took 20 minutes more than a desktop that we have running linux here.
> "
> " there are little services running, because this machine is only used for
> " that.
> "
> " any tips? what can make this huge machine act like my 486?
>
> could it be that blast is poorly threaded and doesn't take full
> advantage of multiple procs?

Oh my.  When I first read this, I didn't register that it was blast.

I have a friend who works with it at UCLA.  He says it's horrible.  He
and another friend of mine who's a Sun engineer (or was then) apparently
went through it and rewrote it, and sped it up by something like 20:1 on
a 12-processor E6000, if memory serves.

Fernando, I can probably put you in touch with the guy if you want.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net