[SunHELP] Thoughts on Solaris 10 or Solaris express

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Wed Feb 25 23:16:37 CST 2004

> I thought i would give a quick review of installing Solaris Express(10)
>
> I Installed it on a PII 350, with 256MB of ram, 30GB Seagate Harddrive.
>
> The Installation CD would not install on my system. It would freeze when
> creating the swap slice on hd.

I've never been able to get that installation CD to work...I thought it
just me.

> So after much fiddling with the bios and such i installed the software
> using cd 1 of 2 and cd 2 of 2.
>
> The installation went pretty slow. It might have to do with the pc system
> that i was installing it onto or it might just be the slow solaris
> install.

Mine had to be done over a couple of days since my machine is at school.

> After the install was complete, i rebooted the system. For some reason,
> the install procedure doesn't ask you for a host name.  sys-unconfig
> doesn't ask you for a hostname either. Which is kinda bizarre because it
> usually does.

 I think the SPARC version did.

> Solaris 10 looks much like solaris 8. It's still got CDE if you want to
> run that. It's also does have much in the way of software. I suspect that
> this is by design since the SUN Java Desktop(AKA Linux with sun pieces)
> probably has more apps. I'm going to have to download openoffice, firefox
> and ximian.
>
> The software sure runs slow on my PII 350 though... I might try to add
> more ram and see what happens.
>
> Thats about it.

I loaded it as an upgrade on an Ultra 10.  Seems to work OK.  No noticeable
decrease in speed and so far, nothing has crashed or been broken (yet).
Next will be my Ultra 30 ;->

Bob