[SunHELP] error in syslog related to sendmail

Ajit Datey ajit at datey.org
Wed Feb 25 16:06:10 CST 2004

Hi! Recently we had a problem where email from an application was not getting
sent out. The error I saw during that time was as following :

SYSERR: putoutmsg (localhost): error on output channel sending "250 2.0.0
Reset state": Broken pipe

The setup is as given below. The application runs on a server which is not
connected to the internet. I have the sendmail daemon running on the APP
server and it is configured to use the mail Mail servers, which are connected
to the internet, as relays.

The APP uses java mail client to send emails and in the APP configuration the
mail server is defined as localhost.

So when the APP tries to send mail it sends it to sendmail on the same server
which in turn relays it using the main mail servers.

The setup works fine. This APP has also been successfully sending emails using
this setup. A few days ago I saw these errors. The mail failure was restricted
to this one APP. The other applications on other servers as well as the second
APP which runs on this server were still successfully sending out emails. They
all use java mail clients and are configured to use localhost as the mail
server.

I have tried to look for this message on the SUN site, sendmail site and the
WEB but have not found it. I did find similar messages but not this one.

Currently the sunhelp archives are being built so I could not search them.

Has anybody seen this before? If so any idea what it means?

Thanks in advance.

Ajit