[SunHELP] SMC on Solaris 10: is it broken?

Jim Pennino jimp at specsol.com
Thu Feb 19 18:46:13 CST 2004

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 06:35:44PM -0500, Matt Gabriel wrote:
> 	OK, so I crawl out of the dark age, and upgrade to 2.10 from 2.7.
> 	I'm happy as can be that Admintool has been deprecated and all, but what's
> up with smc? It whines at me "server not running" when it launches, and
> under the Local Toolbox tab, it whines that it's looking for a toolbox
> file. Sun's smc faq was less than helpful.
>
> 	Can anyone point me to a good reference on how to get this beast
> running, or should I just write it off as "Admintool, only Less
> Helpful" and devolve back to the command line like the SunOS 4 /
> OpenBSD curmudgeon I am?
>
> TIA!
>
> (Also, if anyone has some 2.10 tips and tricks they'd like to share,
> I'd be grateful.)
>
> ~ Matt Gabriel
>
> (Deletes long whine about fingerd and uucp and the rest being turned on
> by default here in the 21st century, and a longer rant about how
> someone should have put a bullet in CDE's head back when Clinton was in
> office.)

Don't feel too bad; smc is (IMHO) a piece of crap on 9 also.

Make sure the daemon stuff is running; init.wbem status

You may have to stop it and restart it to get it sane.

The first time you run it, it takes a LOOONG time (unless they fixed it
in 10, which I doubt) to get to a useable screen.

About the only thing I find usefull about it is the GUI for doing disk
partitions.

<rant on>

I think SMC is a good idea for the admin that doesn't spend a lot of time
doing basic admin stuff and can't remember the command line he last used
about a year ago.

However, I also think Sun blew it big time in the implementation.

Sun should have just licensed SAM from HP if they wanted a GUI admin tool.

<rant off>

--
Jim Pennino