[SunHELP] Problem with Patchadd]

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Tue Oct 14 17:10:07 CDT 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Ben Ricker wrote:

> I am trying to install the /dev/random patch for Solaris 8/Sparc. Here
> is the patches' log entry for the error:
>
> -----Log Snippet-----
> This appears to be an attempt to install the same architecture and
> version of a package which is already installed.  This installation
> will attempt to overwrite this package.
>
> /export/spare/home/bricker/112438-02/SUNWcarx.u/install/checkinstall: /export/spare/home/bricker/112438-02/SUNWcarx.u/install/checkinstall: cannot open
> pkgadd: ERROR: checkinstall script did not complete successfully
> Dryrun complete.
> No changes were made to the system.
> -----End Snippet-----

To fix this, do a recursive chmod or chown of the patch directories.

I'm guessing you downloaded and untarred/unzipped the patches as user
bricker and your umask happens to also be set to 066 or similar, which
means the the patch isn't world readable.

Well, the patch HAS to be readable by user nobody for it to install.

So either:

    chown -R nobody <patch directories>
 or
    chmod -R o+r <patch directories>