[SunHELP] Question - reset default OS Install Permissions for /etc - Solaris 9 on E250

Sat May 24 08:20:17 CDT 2003

Good Morning,

I'm hoping that you might be able to help me out or point me in the
right direction.  I have a Solaris 9 installation on an E250 where a
cohort of mine accidentally did a "chmod -R 755 /etc" when instead his
intent was to just apply "chmod 755 /etc".  As you can guess things have
not been working since an "init 6" has been issued.  This is a
production server that's had a lot of applications and modifications
done to it, to the effect that my cohort has no good backup (I know,
I'll take care of him later).  I've done everything in my power from a
RTFM standpoint, for example running "pkgchk -f" and doing an "ls -alR
/etc > current_etc" and comparing it to the output of "more
/var/sadm/install/contents | grep /etc > def_etc" with the "diff -ic"
command.

I've opened a case with SUN and they say that I'm pretty much SOL
without doing a wipe and re-install or unless I want to try "boot cdrom
-s" and copy over the contents of "/etc" from the CDROM to lay down over
the OS.

I'm kind of in a catch 22 here; I've heard of some people fixing this by
bringing up an exact system, somehow capturing the permissions for
"/etc" in a perl script and then some how replaying that perl script and
or re-applying it to the broken system.

Is there any other way to accomplish this or maybe even to the effect
that I take the difference from my to files from running the "diff -ic"
command and somehow incorporating this in a script with "chmod"

Thanks in advance for any insight and guidance that you can provide.

Best regards,

Dave