[SunHELP] C compiler cannot create executables

tom walling tom93r1 at yahoo.com
Sat May 24 00:17:15 CDT 2003

When trying to install apache web server, I get the
following message then the installation stops:

checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output... configure:
error: C compiler cannot create executables

I have tried 3 different versions of gcc and now I am
on 2.95.3
I have tried 2 versions of the apache installation and
am on 2.0.44

I searched the archives and can find nothing beyond
checking to make certain that the path were gcc is
installed is actually in your path environment
variable.

Any hints as to what might be wrong in my setup? My
UNIX skills leave much to be desired so please give me
simple explanations.
thanks