[SunHELP] SunNewbie seeking advice...learning Sun

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Fri Mar 7 11:40:38 CST 2003

Hey Marvin -

I came from a Microsoft background, as well so I can relate.

Solaris 8 has a pretty huge install base, so it wouldn't hurt to be
comfortable there.  But it never hurts to know the latest and greatest.

When I first decided to learn Solaris back in 1995 (I think), I installed
2.5, then 2.5.1, then 2.6 over and over, using different configurations,
setting up the machine to do different tasks (i.e. web server, mail server,
ftp server, etc.).  I got the O'Reilly book Essential System Administration
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0596003439/qid=1047058306/sr=
8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-1585888-8644649?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) and read it
front to back.  I spent a LOT of time asking newbie questions on Usenet.
But most of all, I just kept breaking my installs and trying to fix them.

I also got to review Mark Sobell's book A Practical Guide to Solaris
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/020189548X/qid=1047058482/sr=
1-5/ref=sr_1_5/103-1585888-8644649?v=glance&s=books) while he was writing
it.  It looked pretty good.

Hope this is helpful.

Thomas Cameron, RHCE, CNE, MCSE, MCT
Cameron Technical Services, Inc.