[SunHELP] SunNewbie seeking advice...learning Sun

Marvin P. Cummings marvc at nubiint.com
Fri Mar 7 09:46:02 CST 2003

1st time sending mail to this list and I'm totally new to the Sun world
so please be gentle.
I need some advice or direction for learning Sun. I've finished my MCSE,
and I still can't get a job, and I'm now seeking to get certified as a
Sun Admin and would like to know the best way to get started with this.
I have a w2k network setup at home and a Sun Ultra 10 Sparc that I'd
like to get up and running. I have copies of Solaris 7, 8, & 9 but I'm
not sure which is better to start with. I've heard that 9 is still being
tweaked and that 8 is better. And I've also heard that 8 is simply old
and to start with the latest and greatest. For the sake of learning this
from scratch and being able to talk and walk Sun, and also being able to
pass the test, I'd like to get a census from the experts or users.
I've also bookmarked hundreds of links and downloaded plenty of
documents from the Sun site, so I know that is definatley step 1.
Any response is appreciated.