[SunHELP] SunNewbie seeking advice...learning Sun

Fri Mar 7 09:55:07 CST 2003

Marvin I start with learning "Basic Unix" or "Unix Fundamentals" rather.
These will help you across any platform and make it easier for you to learn
"their way" of doing things.  Interacting with the shell, using regular
expressions, vi editor, archiving, utilities like sed and awk, and
understanding mounting, filesystems are all common demoninators that I think
are a must and then you can branch off from there.

-----Original Message-----
From: Marvin P. Cummings [mailto:marvc at nubiint.com]
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 10:46 AM
To: Sunhelp (E-mail)
Subject: [SunHELP] SunNewbie seeking advice...learning Sun

1st time sending mail to this list and I'm totally new to the Sun world so
please be gentle. I need some advice or direction for learning Sun. I've
finished my MCSE, and I still can't get a job, and I'm now seeking to get
certified as a Sun Admin and would like to know the best way to get started
with this. I have a w2k network setup at home and a Sun Ultra 10 Sparc that
I'd like to get up and running. I have copies of Solaris 7, 8, & 9 but I'm
not sure which is better to start with. I've heard that 9 is still being
tweaked and that 8 is better. And I've also heard that 8 is simply old and
to start with the latest and greatest. For the sake of learning this from
scratch and being able to talk and walk Sun, and also being able to pass the
test, I'd like to get a census from the experts or users. I've also
bookmarked hundreds of links and downloaded plenty of documents from the Sun
site, so I know that is definatley step 1. Any response is appreciated.
SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org