[SunHELP] Newbie Asking before buying...required sun items...

Marvin P. Cummings marvc at nubiint.com
Fri Mar 7 12:40:23 CST 2003

I want to say thanks for the responses I've received thus far on
learning Sun. I've made the decision to start out with Solaris 8 after
which I'll make my way to 9. While installing this onto my system I'd
like to know if any of the following is possible:
1. Are there any distros available where you can download Sun x86 like
you can Linux? I obtained a license and paid $20 for versions 8 & 9 from
the Sun site and I don't mind doing the same for the x86 version but I
figured I ask first. I've got a lotta books to buy so every dollar I can
save is important.

2. Speaking of books. Do anyone have any documented procedures they care
to share in regards to performing certain tasks? I make it a point to
document most of my networking procedures as a habit so I figured I'd
see if anyone here thinks the same. Or if anyone know of any links that
have a format or list of articles that can give a newbie an idea of the
steps to take once you get the OS installed? I've found that I can
easily insert a CD and install the OS and also document the steps, but
I'm not to sure on what to do next. As stated earlier I've bookmarker a
lot of the links available at the Sun site, but it's kinda hard deciding
which way to go. So I need some direction.
Let me state that I do plan on going out and purchasing some books that
would probably cover these questions I'm asking here, but if it's one
thing I've learned since getting into networking, there's a lot of data
available online for learning its just a matter of knowing where to find
it, and the first step to finding anything is to ask. So please don't be
offended or get the wrong impression. Its hard to be carefree and book
shopping happy when income is lacking. :->

3. Once I'm able to download the x86 version and load it on at least one
system I'd like to be able to have the x86 and the Ultra interact as
part of their own networking environment and then configure them to
communicate with the W2K part of my network. Anyone have any advice on
this?

TIA