[SunHELP] HOWTO compress and save large SunPCI-diskimage

Michael Karl mk at lexcom-net.de
Sat Aug 16 04:16:00 CDT 2003

>> It seems to be a file-size-problem, but I'm wondering about the short time
>> of zip-operating, generating a really small and wrong zip-file of the
>> 21GB-diskimage without any error.
>>
>> What's the best way to generate a compressed-store-file of such big
>> diskimages ?
>>
> Just to better understand: you are compressing the image file, which is
> just 1 (huge) file. So why don't you use gzip or bzip or other gnu
> utilities directly on that file?

I also used gzip with the same result.
Today I'll try some other ways.

The reason for this action is to have complete backups of these diskimages
online in the Sun-Systems.

Normal backups - like ufsdump or Sun Backup - have problems with these
diskimages,if SunPCi is already running, because the diskimages change
during these large backuptime.

Two Weeks ago I've had a crash on one of the two SunPCi and could not
Windows again. The result was a complete new installation SunPCI inclusive
Windows, because the backup-files had been corrupt.

Best regards

Michael