[SunHELP] HOWTO compress and save large SunPCI-diskimage

Michael Karl mk at lexcom-net.de
Fri Aug 15 15:09:41 CDT 2003

> "From: Michael Karl <mk at lexcom-net.de>
> "
> "> Michael Karl wrote:
> ">>
> ">> I have two SunPCI-II-Cards with one 4GB diskimage ... the second is 21GB.
> ">>
> ">> I could save and compress the smaller diskimage with
> ">>
> ">> tar cf - . | zip backup - (result = 25% size, like diskusage under
> Windows).
> "
> "Under Windows diskusage is 1.5 GB in a 4GB diskimage, zip-file is less than
> "1GB. It takes a long time, but this doesn't matter.
> "
> ">>
> ">> The same way with the bigger diskimage doesn't work :-(
> ">
> "> Doesn't work as in doesn't get the same compression or doesn't work full
> stop
> "> ?
> "
> "Bigger one:
> "It runs some sec. and stopped with no error.
> "But the zip-file is only few KBs. Diskusage under Windows more then 6 GB.
>
> could it be that something in your compression pipe isn't
> largefiles-aware?  zip could be falling over when the image hits 2G.

I don't think so - about 2GB - because both sun-machines (UE30 & UE60) are
running with Solaris 8 and latest rec-patches. The difference is the size of
the SunPCi-diskimage and the Windows-OS. The 4GB-diskimage has W2K-Server
and the 21GB-diskimage has WinXP-Pro (may be this is the problem ... :-))).

It seems to be a file-size-problem, but I'm wondering about the short time
of zip-operating, generating a really small and wrong zip-file of the
21GB-diskimage without any error.

What's the best way to generate a compressed-store-file of such big
diskimages ?

Best regards

Michael