[SunHELP] HOWTO compress and save large SunPCI-diskimage

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Aug 15 07:16:24 CDT 2003

"From: Michael Karl <mk at lexcom-net.de>
"
"> Michael Karl wrote:
">>
">> I have two SunPCI-II-Card with one 4GB diskimage ... the second is 21GB.
">>
">> I could save and compress the smaller diskimage with
">>
">> tar cf - . | zip backup - (result = 25% size, like diskusage under Windows).
"
"Under Windows diskusage is 1.5 GB in a 4GB diskimage, zip-file is less than
"1GB. It takes a long time, but this doesn't matter.
"
">>
">> The same way with the bigger diskimage doesn't work :-(
">
"> Doesn't work as in doesn't get the same compression or doesn't work full stop
"> ?
"
"Bigger one:
"It runs some sec. and stopped with no error.
"But the zip-file is only few KBs. Diskusage under Windows more then 6 GB.

could it be that something in your compression pipe isn't
largefiles-aware?  zip could be falling over when the image hits 2G.