[SunHELP] NFS / CDROM

Will Mc Donald wmcdonald at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 31 02:34:55 CST 2002

Did you comment out portmapper from inetd.conf ? I believe you'll need that
running on the NFS client. Seemingly you need rpc.statd and rpc.lockd too to
get NFS file locking working correctly.

# rpcinfo -p

This may not be the problem Joe's having but I've seen problems with Solaris
boxes mounting linux NFS servers due to mismatched NFS versions in the past.

Some sort of NFS version negotiation goes on between the Solaris client and
linux server, the client's supposed to negotiate down to v2 if the server
doesn't understand v3 but from what I remember the process was flawed somehow.
This was Solaris 2.5.1 and RH 6.2 running knfsd though, your circumstances may
well differ.

You could try starting the NFS daemon on the linux box with...

# rpc.mountd --no-nfs-version 3

Or you could try explicitly instructing the client to use v2.

http://lovecraft.die.udec.cl/OS/UNIX/unix-hints-and-hacks/19270038.htm

Will.