[SunHELP] timezone change

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzy.com
Tue Oct 29 11:03:53 CST 2002

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 03:37:58PM -0300, Edwin Jean Soriani Karrer wrote:

| I've been informed by SUN and many others system administrators that
| a reboot is required in order to make timezone changes to take
| effect. Is that correct?

Yes and no.

| I have tried the following steps in a test environment:
|
| 1- setup the TZ variable in the file /etc/default/init
| 2- created a text file whit test rules and a new timezone file information
| 3- compiled that file with the command "zic <file>"

The variable TZ is set in /etc/default/init, but any processes started
before the variable was updated (and any started after, but spawned by
a process started before, and that doesn't read /etc/default/init
itself) will have the old value.

You can set TZ manually in your current shell, update
/etc/default/init and restart the processes that you care about (like
cron) and you'll be fine.  But the quick answer is `reboot' and it
will get everything :)

---
Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzy.com
I'd rather just believe that it's done by little elves running around.