[SunHELP] timezone change

Edwin Jean Soriani Karrer edwin at tnext.com.br
Mon Oct 28 12:37:58 CST 2002

I've been informed by SUN and many others system administrators that a
reboot is required in order to make timezone changes to take effect. Is that
correct?

I have tried the following steps in a test environment:

1- setup the TZ variable in the file /etc/default/init
2- created a text file whit test rules and a new timezone file information
3- compiled that file with the command "zic <file>"

The "problem" is that it worked! I'm worried if there's something I'm not
thinking about, and what could it be. Why SUN tells that a reboot is
required if my clock has changed automatically and correctly? The problem I
can imagine is maybe an application that will not recognize the new timezone
or the new rules, but in that case, wouldn't a SIGHUP be enough to fix the
problem?

I think the only thing should be restarted is the cron process, which really
needs that after the system enters the DST, but not the Solaris. Does
somebody knows the reason to that recommendation?

And sorry for my poor english...   :-)

Edwin Karrer
Brazil