[SunHELP] Query regarding /etc/passwd

TAG DBA dbatag at tatainfotech.com
Thu May 16 05:30:48 CDT 2002

Hi,
On one oft my old Unix boxes here is how the entry for root in /etc/passwd
reads
# cat /etc/passwd | grep root
root :x:0:3:0000-Admin(0000):/:

Now, i checked the passwd file of my sun box, the root user has the shell
explicitly set as bourne shell.How is it that this old box has no shell
defined for root.

The reason I ask, well , just recently i couldnot logon as root.I could
logon as other users, but when i tried to login as root i kep getting the
'Invalid ID' error.If I directly login as root ite connects and disconnects
immediately.
ROOTLOGIN=yes in /etc/default/login and er
the CONSOLE=/dev/console  has been commenhted out.

What should I do??

~girish