[SunHELP] Moving a SPARCCenter 2000E

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Thu Feb 28 15:08:38 CST 2002

On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 08:55, Fogg, James wrote:
> I have actually stumbled upon a SPARCCenter 2000E, possible for free. I
> downloaded the install docs and they claim this baby weighs in at 1/2 ton or
> more. I can get it on a pickup truck easilly because the datacenter has a
> hydraulic loading dock. Getting it off the truck will be a bigger challenge.
> I need to make the main chassis lighter by removing as many sub-assemblies
> as possible.

Lucky dog!  (PS, why here and not rescue?)

> My question is how is the SC2000E constructed. It seems to have separate
> drive and board cages, but do they remove easilly (aka, rackmount style)?
> Would the inter-cage cabling be a nightmare? The power supplies appear to be
> easilly removed (per the PS install manual).

Like a tank.  I got to go over and play with one, but couldn't bring it
home, unfortunately (nowhere to put it, and no circuit that could handle
it).  Most of the docs on this thing are still at docs.sun.com (search
for "SPARCcenter 2000E").  It's also covered in my FEH.  Looks like it
game in a 56-in cabinet, from which you should be able to remove just
about everything, even the side panels, if you so desire.

> Oh, any hints as to how to tell the wife that the electric bill is about to
> double?

Can't help on that one, sorry.
	Greg

--