[SunHELP] booting a Enterprise 3500

Joe Pampel joe at ardsley.com
Wed Feb 27 08:58:14 CST 2002

FWIW
I have a 3500 here and yes it's true - it takes 6months to a year to boot up.
;-)
You can watch the boot process from the serial port (hyperterminal works
fine,
9600-8-N-1)  Seriously, give it 15min and then see what's up.
Happy normal operation will have the LH LED on solid, and the RH LED blinking.
The middle LED should only be on during the boot up/self test process. (it's
the one
with the wrench icon beneath it)

hth

Joe

>>> William Enestvedt <Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu> 02/26/02 02:32PM >>>
> I just got a new/used Enterprise 3500.

   Nice. :7)

> On the front, there are 3 LEDs.  The left is green, the
> middle is slowly blinking yellow, the right is off.

   Read this:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/General/LEDs/Exx00_LEDs.html
   (I got the link from the Sun System Handbook link on the main Sunsolve
page.) It matches my recollection, which is that the 3500 will takes its
own, sweet time running POST, and it flashes the LEDs in the manner you
describe.
   Someone else posted a while back about a "new" 3000 which she thought was
dead, but which was just sloooow coming up); fire it up and sit back. (A
magazine may be of use here...)
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt