[SunHELP] Just bought an Ultra-1 - questions.

Mattias Larsson ml at techno.org
Tue Feb 26 14:45:10 CST 2002

Hi,

I just bought a SUN Ultra-1 170E (although still waiting for it to be
delivered), and I have a couple of questions..

1. It comes without a CD-ROM drive. If I go out and buy a drive, do I need
any special mounting kits to be able to mount it in the box? Are there any
CD-RW drives out there that are known to be bootable?

2. It has a Creator framebuffer, and I'm planning on just buying a cheap LCD
monitor. Is there anything special I have to think about? Any special
requirements (such as horz/vert frequency etc)? Or would I be better off
buying a standard CRT rather than an LCD (I assume a CRT has greater
tolerance)? I realize that I will need an adapter to connect the VGA DB15 to
the Creator card.

3. I'll want to add some additional memory to the machine. It comes with
2x64MB DIMMs. Besides buying on eBay, can I get thirdparty memory from
somewhere that works in an Ultra-1? I'd probably look at getting 2x128 or
4x128 to add to the machine.. without paying SUN prices...

4. Next step is harddisk. Is it safe to assume that any SCSI SCA 80 pin disk
will work in the box? I've seen disks being advertised as Ultra160.. Would a
drive with  Ultra 160 (such as ST336752LC) work in my Ultra-1? Will I need
any special mounting brackets to install it? Would it be smarted to just
remove the 2.1GB drive that is in there already and put the new drive in its
place?

Any help is appreciated. I haven't touched an Ultra-1 box since 1999, and
hardly remember what it looks like anymore.. all I know is that I loved the
machine :)

/dml