[SunHELP] Just bought an Ultra-1 - questions.

Frank-Christian Kruegel fchk at istda.com
Wed Feb 27 00:54:08 CST 2002

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:45:10 -0800, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I just bought a SUN Ultra-1 170E (although still waiting for it to be
>delivered), and I have a couple of questions..
>
>1. It comes without a CD-ROM drive. If I go out and buy a drive, do I need
>any special mounting kits to be able to mount it in the box? Are there any
>CD-RW drives out there that are known to be bootable?

Plextor and Yamaha drivrs will work. Mine came with a cdrom, so I don't know
about mounting kits.

>2. It has a Creator framebuffer, and I'm planning on just buying a cheap LCD
>monitor. Is there anything special I have to think about? Any special
>requirements (such as horz/vert frequency etc)? Or would I be better off
>buying a standard CRT rather than an LCD (I assume a CRT has greater
>tolerance)? I realize that I will need an adapter to connect the VGA DB15 to
>the Creator card.

Should work. The standard resolution is 1152x900x76, but you can change that
1280x1024x76 in the OBP by setenv outputdevice screen:r1280x1024x76. X is
even
more configurable - just see ffbconfig -prconf. Of course the lcd must handle
that resolution. I'm unsure if you can go down to 1024x768x77 on the OBP.

>4. Next step is harddisk. Is it safe to assume that any SCSI SCA 80 pin disk
>will work in the box? I've seen disks being advertised as Ultra160.. Would a

yes.

>drive with  Ultra 160 (such as ST336752LC) work in my Ultra-1? Will I need
>any special mounting brackets to install it?

yes - the same as for Ultra-1, Ultra-2, Netra T1,... The ones for
SS4/SS5/SS20
are different.

>                                             Would it be smarted to just
>remove the 2.1GB drive that is in there already and put the new drive in its
>place?

2.1gb is not that much - so yes. But you have two drive slots for har disks,
and
the lower can hold a 1.6" drive.

Mit freundlichen Gr|_en

Dipl.-Ing. Frank-Christian Kr|gel