[SunHELP] WindowMaker & Sol8

Wesley A. Wannemacher wesw at aol.net
Mon Feb 18 07:37:47 CST 2002

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002 12:50:58 -0500, brian <bphinz at home.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone here using WindowMaker under Solaris 8? I tried like hell
> yesterday to get it working with no success. It configures & compiles
> with no warnings or errors but then when I try running wmaker from a
> failsafe login it bombs with the error message "window maker received
> signal 11, this most likely due to a bug..." I can't find any similar
> reports via web searches so more likely it's misconfiguration on my
> part, so I'm wondering if anyone else experienced this and knows what
> the solution is. FYI, I'm using all of the libraries that the Install
> file either suggests or requires from the Sun Freeware companion
> CD/sunfreeware web site, along with gcc 3.0 fro sunfreeware. I compiled
> libHermes with no errors and the WM configure detects it. I've tried a
> variety of ./configure options, including disable-shm, and the results
> were the same each time. I also tried juggling the orders of my
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH & PATH variables as suggested by the WM FAQ with no luck
> either. Thanks for any help!

Just a stab here, but did you run `wmaker.inst` as the user who is going to
launch wmaker? This script will populate your home directory with all the
default configuration files that are necessary to run wmaker. I prefer wmaker
also and have it working properly on my Sparc, although I don't use it everyday
since I am trying to get better using CDE. (when in Rome do as the Romans do ;)
)

thanks!

--
Wesley Wannemacher
Email:          wesw at aol.net
Office:         614.538.3264
Pager:          877.236.2892
Operations Analyst
CompuServe Interactive Services, Inc.

[demime 0.99c.1 removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]