[SunHELP] Multivolume backups of remote filesystems using ufsdump

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Tue Feb 12 15:41:00 CST 2002

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, W Hippet wrote:

| Everything seems to work fine, with one exception:  if
| ufsdump gets to the end of a tape in the middle of a
| backup, instead of recognizing the end-of-media, I get
| an error message and that dump is aborted.  This
| happens even though I've used the "l" flag in ufsdump
| to tell it to wait for a tape change, and even though
| the library is in "sequential" mode.
|
| I figure that this is probably because I'm using dd to
| write to the tape, and so ufsdump doesn't realise that
| the end of the tape has been reached.

Yeah, that's why. ufsdump is being masked from seeing the tape drive
status.

| Can anyone help get around this problem?  I'd like to
| be able to run things automatically and make use of
| the library, rather than having to swap tapes
| manually.

I dont believe there is a way to get around this problem.

If you're doing backups from a backup server of sorts to remote
servers/client, you might want to investigate using tape server software
designed for doing just that. AMANDA is such a thing that is free.

http://www.amanda.org/

/dale