[SunHELP] Multivolume backups of remote filesystems using ufsdump

W Hippet whippetzus at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 15:22:20 CST 2002

Hi there,

I'm trying to back up remote filesystems via ssh using
ufsdump to a DLT4000 drive in an L200 library.  The
command I'm using for the backups looks like this:

ssh -n -c $encryption -i $identity -l $userid
$dumphost ufsrestore 0luf - $filesystem 2>>$logfile |
`dd bs=1024 of=$tape`

Everything seems to work fine, with one exception:  if
ufsdump gets to the end of a tape in the middle of a
backup, instead of recognizing the end-of-media, I get
an error message and that dump is aborted.  This
happens even though I've used the "l" flag in ufsdump
to tell it to wait for a tape change, and even though
the library is in "sequential" mode.

I figure that this is probably because I'm using dd to
write to the tape, and so ufsdump doesn't realise that
the end of the tape has been reached.

Can anyone help get around this problem?  I'd like to
be able to run things automatically and make use of
the library, rather than having to swap tapes
manually.

Thanks,
W. H.
http://greetings.yahoo.com