[SunHELP] good or bad?

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 8 03:44:59 CST 2002

> Dear All,
>
> I don't know if this is the sort of thing you want to discuss on this list,
> so please ignore if you think it is off-topic, or too heated(!)
>
> However, If you haven't read this yet, it is worth a look.
>
> http://www.sun.com/2002-0206/linux/
>
> My initial thought was that in 5 years time you won't be able to buy a
> decent computer, even if you are willing to pay for it, because such a
> thing will not exist.  I dearly hope Sun is not going the way of
> Silicon  Graphics.  How long before I can't buy a workstation?

If I connect this comment to the article, I would say that you mean to say that
a sun x86 product running Linux cannot be a decent computer. But aren't a lot
of machines around the internet configured this way? Isn't this setup what made
Linux to what it is now?

I don't want to start a Linux<->Solaris war, but as far as I'm concerned, Linux
may not be able to provide Solaris stability now, but may very well do so in
the near future. Especially on x86 hardware.

Solaris will definitly change. It evolved from SunOS 1.0 to what it is now, and
has underwent massive changes in the mean time. It will do the same in the
future, and if the endproduct is called Solaris, Linux or maybe even Solinux,
it's just a name.

Just my two Eurocents.

Maarten